Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

One word to describe my feelings about this book: Love.
I really loved this book. Been waiting a long time for it, and when my ARC finally arrived, I started reading it right away. And it did not disappoint.

I really liked Mara, she was funny, strong and so much more. And her family was so awesome. Well, not her mother. Didn't like her at all ;p But I loved Daniel, her older brother. And her younger brother, Joseph, was just too adorable. I also really liked Jamie, and I wished he was in the book more :) Hope he will be in the sequel.

The plot was really great too, although if I had been unsure about what was real, and what was a dream I would have gone mad. But I still enjoyed reading it. Which is kind of weird. The book made me shake so many times, and it made me smile so much too.

What I loved the most though, was Noah. Noah Shaw. He was just.. perfect. And not too perfect either, he was a bit broken, which I so, so loved. But oh, he was so funny, and kind, and cute, and damn it. I want my own Noah!

There was this one thing I kind of disliked. SPOILER: IT TOOK THEM UNTIL ABOUT PAGE 380 TO KISS) Hih, yeah, wish that had happened a little earlier :)

Also, the ending killed me. It made me speculate so much about what will happen in book two, and what happened in book one. There is just one thing I do not want to happen. And I don't know why I thought of it either, since I do not really think it can happen. Not gonna say why, though :D That would be a very huge spoiler.

My biggest wish though, it that there will be so much more Noah in the next one. Wish that more than anything :)

Bottom line, you NEED to buy this book. It is amazing. The best. (After Divergent) But Divergent doesn't really count, because these books where very different :) I have pre-ordered two hardcover copies of Mara Dyer, and I can't wait to get them both. <3 And read it again in a little over a week. When it finally arrives.

I got this ARC from Michelle Hodkin :)
<3

Update: Newer and better review of the book can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this right now! It's amazing, I'm feeling an 'Epic' rating coming up! Noah is amazing, I don't understand why some people think he's a jerk, he isn't. He's amazing! I'm on page 288, so I still have a little while until they kiss...I am anxiously awaiting it though! So glad you liked it :D

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there was only one pestering aspect which held me back from truly loving it. Noah, the young boy in which Mara falls in loves with, is the typical mysterious schoolboy who seems to be wise beyond his years, is nonchalantly obnoxious, and never seems unsettled by anything. While I know some people are old souls, I found myself wanting Noah to just be a kid for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sniffles* This book is sooo good. I'm so confused on many things after the book finished, but I feel like readers are supposed to be a little confused, and that things will be cleared up in the next books. I can't believe it's a trilogy! I know Michelle Hodkin knows what she is doing, but I don't really see how this is going to go on for two more books. NOT that it's a bad idea/series, but the first book and the addition of a second book might've been enough? I don't know. All I DO know is that I can't wait for The Evolution of Mara Dyer!!!!! Great review!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Me too. lol, yeah, I'm pretty sure we will get to know everything in book two/three :) Otherwise I might be a bit disappointed ;p hih :) Sigh. Book two is amazing! Hope you'll love it :) Thank you. <3

      Delete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)