Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Review: Ravenous by MarcyKate Connolly

Ahh, I still can't quite believe that I have gotten to read this book already. Thank you oh so much my precious friend. <3 MarcyKate is the most amazing person. So kind and sweet and awesome. And such a talented writer too. I have read and loved two of her books already, and cannot wait to read more by her.

Ravenous isn't out until February. But I was so lucky to get a print ARC of this precious yesterday. <3 I could not wait to read it. I had to read it right away. And I'm so glad I did. Enjoyed it so much. I won't share spoilers about what happens, but talking a bit about the plot and about other things that I loved about it.

This book takes place three months after the end of Monstrous. It is not a sequel. But it is about a girl named Greta, whom we saw a bit of in Monstrous too. And she is all kinds of awesome. I adored Greta. She did do a few wrong things, but I didn't blame her for that, and I still adored her. She will do anything to save her brother from the witch. And I love that. Greta is an amazing main character. And I adored reading from her point of view. The story is about Greta and her brother, Hans. Sort of like the fairytale. Except not really, as it is a bit different too. But yeah. Hans gets taken by a witch who travels in a hut with chicken feet. She was scary. Shudders. And Greta tries her very best to save him. So much happens in this book. It's awesome.

What I really loved about this book was the glimpse at old characters from Monstrous. Like Ren. Sniffs. He's awesome. I felt like he had a crush on Greta. Which I do not approve of, lol, as I want the ending of Monstrous to someday get undone. But anyway. Loved seeing small glimpses of Ren and of the King too. I loved that they care for the rose in the garden. Sad face. But.. no one seemed to know the truth about it? Okay, that breaks my heart a little bit. But makes sense too. Still, so so heartbreaking. And perfect.

This book is an adventure. With Greta thinking about the time she almost got fed to the monster of Belladoma. Which was all kinds of awful. She never wants to go back to that place. But now she must. To save her brother, she must. And it is pretty heartbreaking. Yet awesome too. I do love how strong Greta was. I didn't always feel for her, but I loved her all the time. And she's awesome. She goes through a lot in this book. And I won't say much about it at all. Just that it was amazing and exciting to read about.

I loved the friend that she made in Ravenous. Dalen. The half-horse. The hybrid. He was all kinds of awesome. And I loved how they became friends. It was fun to read about and exciting and interesting too. I don't want to say much more about the plot. Just that it is fantastic and I liked reading about it oh so much. My heart is still aching for the people in the city Belladoma; they have suffered so much. I loved how many things there were to learn in this one. Lots and lots of secrets. I loved every moment.

I'm deciding to give Ravenous four stars. Which breaks my heart a bit, as I'm feeling mean. Sniffs. But I must be honest. And I had a few issues with the way this book was written. Some things didn't seem that real for me, with how the characters talked. With how Greta thought. But this is the only reason for the four star rating. Because I adored this book. The story and characters are all kinds of amazing. And I loved the ending. This book was amazing and I'm so glad I got to read it early. I will always treasure it.

This book is less than three hundred pages, and such an easy and fun and heartbreaking read. I adored it. Though the final copy will be more than four hundred pages. Because it will include a prequel to both books, named Precious. And oh my gosh. I wish I could read that one right away too. It's going to be amazing. Now dying for the hardcover to come out so that I can read it. So excited to finally read it in February. I love how MarcyKate wrote these books. How they fit together despite not being a series.

Ravenous is a fantastic book. It is full of adventure and fantasy and magic. It is a stunning book about a girl willing to do anything to save her brother from the witch about to eat him. This tale is amazing. It is heartbreaking and fun and so worth reading. You will all love it. Which means you must pre-order it right away. Ravenous is an amazing book. And Monstrous is too. I loved both. And you will love them too. Hoping you will all read them. And just, look at the pretty covers. So stunning. Love the artwork in it.


5 comments:

  1. AAHHH, so jealous that you got the gorgeous print ARC! And signed(saw them on your instagram)!!---so wonderful. You lucky girl ;D Glad to hear this one is good and that their is another wonderful friendship. Even if it wasn't as good as the first one, which I think we both gave 5 stars! I need posters of these two, I really do. They are the coolest book covers out there. Yay, now I'm even more excited for this one. Thanks for the review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks gorgeous. The illustration is amazing! And the book sounds good too.

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing. I love the cover and have been wanting to read Monstrous- so now I am adding this to my list too. You are SO lucky you got to read it so early. :) So happy for you!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh. Such a long wait for this book. Lol. :) Glad you loved it, C!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The adventure and magic in this one sounds great

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)