Friday, September 2, 2016

Review: Yesternight by Cat Winters

I have wanted to read this book for so long. Because I adore Cat Winters. And I have read and loved all her four books so far. And so I was so excited about this one. Because it looks gorgeous. And sounds so interesting. I have had the eARC for two months, ack, because I have been a bit nervous about starting this one.

But now I have finally gotten to read it. And oh. I just feel so, so heartbroken. Because I didn't like it much at all. Which makes me so sad. Because I adore Cat. And I really wanted to love this newest book of hers. But it was simply not for me at all. Sigh. I'm giving it two stars. I shall try my best to explain why. Hopefully.

Yesternight tells the story of Alice. A young woman in her mid-twenties, I'm pretty sure. This book is set in 1925. And I simply love how Cat writes all her book around that time, which is just awesome. Gah. How I wish I had loved this book. Sigh. But it was not to be. I found the writing to be pretty awesome, though I had trouble with it at times, but thinking that is because my troubles were with Alice. Hmph. I just didn't love this woman at all. I really wanted to like her. She was interesting to read about. Sort of. I was curious about her life and her past. But I just didn't care. I didn't really like her at all. I liked her family more than I liked her. Ack. And we barely see them. But yeah. She was interesting. Her past sort of exciting. I just did not like her.

I'm not sure where to begin with this book. I had such high hopes about loving it, despite being nervous. I don't usually read adult books. But I loved the other adult book by Cat. But this one was so very different. Which might be why I didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure. I just. There was nothing that I hated about this book. I just found most of it to be boring. I didn't care for most of what happened. I disliked the small romance so much. And a bunch of the characters were just awful. I didn't like that. Though some were sort of nice.

What I did like, however, was the story of the seven year old girl, Janie. I loved reading about her. And I wish more about the book had been about her. I liked how she seems to have had a second life before being born. I liked how she talked about it all, how she remembered so much. It was pretty interesting. But it also didn't make me love the book any. Sigh. Because this book focus more on her father and his relationship with Alice. Hmph. There is also so much drama with his ex-wife and her sister. I did not like.

Sadly, I found most of this book to be pretty boring. I wish the plot had been more exciting. But I didn't think it was. I didn't think any of it was scary or anything like that. I thought figuring out how the past Janie had died would end up being awesome, but it was not. Aw. I didn't even really like the mystery of it all. Sad face. Most of the book is about Alice figuring out who she is and who she was. Sort of. And learning about her past. Which I liked a bit in the beginning, but then I got bored of it all. Which just sucks. Hmph.

I wish I had loved Alice. I wish I had felt sorry for her at times. But I didn't like her past. She was a bit brutal. And I didn't like all of her choices. Sigh. But I still thought she was a sweet woman and I did like reading about her. Just didn't love her at all. Or care for her. Ugh. And then she does this thing at the end of the book. It didn't really make sense to me. I'm not sure why she did it. And I feel like I wanted to know more about that. Why she was that way. And just. Yeah. It was awful, yet interesting too. Liked reading it.

I can't help but mention the romance in this. Sigh. I was not a fan. Alice works as a child psychologist, and she travels to schools in different towns. She just arrived in a new one. A man picks her up; he owns a hotel where she stays. He is Janie's father. And he really wants her to figure out what is going on with Janie. He has been divorced from her mother for two years. And he and Alice starts flirting right away. Sigh. I didn't see why at all. I didn't like Michael at all. I didn't think he was kind either. Just very annoying.

I just don't know what to say about this book. The romance was weird. As I said, I didn't like Michael. He seemed to only want to sleep with everyone. And I didn't get why Alice seemed to like him. Shrugs. I just found this book to be weird at times. Which makes me so sad. I liked parts of the plot, but not most of it. But yeah. I still adore Cat. And cannot wait to read what she reads next. I just found Yesternight to be very disappointing. But oh, I am so curious to know what others think of it. So please read it. I must know.


1 comment:

  1. That is so disappointing, C. I know how big of a fan you are of this author. Ack. I like the cover though! Love the vintage look.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)