Monday, March 6, 2017

Review: The Sand Warrior by Mark Siegel & Alexis Siegel

I enjoyed this book a lot. While it wasn't perfect, it was a great read. I'm giving this graphic novel three stars, as I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. I'm curious about the next books, though. The artwork in this book is stunning. Will be full color, but wasn't that in the ARC. It was still gorgeous, though. Loved all the drawings.

This book was a fast read, and I loved that. Though I do wish it had been longer, as I liked the story a lot. There are five worlds in this story. And I'm curious to know more about them all. The main character, Oona, is a sand dancer. Which was interesting. Loved all the sand parts. It was pretty gorgeous and exciting too.

I'm not sure what to say about this story. I liked reading about the characters a lot, but I also felt like I didn't really get to know them, probably because there isn't much text in a graphic novel. Would have loved to know more about them all. Oona seemed like such an awesome girl. I loved that she was pretty clumsy at sand dancing. Though I didn't like that she got bullied because of it. Aw. But she still have friends, and she was still all kinds of awesome, and I just liked this girl a lot. Didn't fully love her, as yeah, I felt like I didn't fully know her. Then there was An Tzu, a poor orphan boy. I felt pretty sorry for him most of the time. Aw. But he was pretty amazing too. So curious about his illness. Wish I had gotten to know him much better too, though. Hmph.

Then there was Jax Amboy. He was a bit boring, yet interesting too, as he isn't fully human. And I liked that a lot. He did seem like a great character, though, again, I didn't get to know him well enough. And I really didn't like how Oona treated him at first. Hmph. There were also a few other characters in this book, and I did like reading about them all. The plant people were pretty interesting, and I'm curious about them all. And the different sand types were interesting to read about, just wish I knew more. Sigh. Very curious.

I liked this book a lot, but I also had some issues, which is why I didn't love it. It's not that I hated anything in the book, because I didn't, it was written pretty well and all the drawings were gorgeous. I loved the art. I just wish the story had been a bit better. I didn't care too much about it, about their worlds going under. Probably because this book was just the introduction to this series. But still, I wish there had been more details about everything. I wanted and needed to know much more about everything, about their history.

Overall, though, I did like reading about Oona and the other characters. I wish this book had focused more on friendship, as I didn't see any of them as friends. They just met, I know, but I felt no connection between them at all. Aw. Hopefully that will come. I might read more about this series later, as I'm a bit curious. Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me this ARC to review while I was in Chicago. I'm glad I gave it a try. And I do think others should read it too. It's a stunning middle grade graphic novel.


3 comments:

  1. So long as you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been curious about this one so I'm glad to see your review! I can see how this one would have been enjoyable, but not blow you away. Very few graphic novels have truly garnered such a reaction from me, but most of them have pretty artwork anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute looking book :) I'm glad you did end up enjoying this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)