Friday, July 7, 2017

Review: Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo

I did not grow up learning about Wonder Woman. Most likely because of my town in Norway not having any comics. But I have seen more and more of her lately, and so curious about this superhero. I also adore Leigh like crazy, and so I simply couldn't wait to try this book. So happy to say that I loved this.

The writing in this book was stunning. I loved it so. And had no issues at all connecting with everything. I loved that the book is told from the point of view of Diana and of Alia. They were both amazing to read about and I loved them so much. It's long and a bit slow to read, and I loved that lots. Didn't want this one to end.

Giving it four stars, though, because I felt like some things could have been a bit more. There could have maybe been a bit more plot and even more friendship, a bit more from the island, and a bit more romance too. But there wasn't a single thing about this book that I did not like. Because it was amazing. Eee. I have so many thoughts about it. So thrilled to have read this book. And I cannot wait to own all the editions of it. There is simply so much that I loved. I'm not sure where to begin. Or how to mention most of it. So will just start by saying that you really should read this book. No need to be a fan of Wonder Woman before you start, but I will promise that you'll be a fan of her when you finish. As I am. Oh, I wish there would be a sequel. Badly need more.

This book tells the story of Diana. She's almost seventeen years old, and she is the baby of their island. I'm not going to get into the whole backstory, with the Amazons and such, just mentioning that I loved it so, so much. This island of amazing warrior women were so interesting and awesome to read about. I loved getting to know some of them a little bit; as this book doesn't take much place on the island. Aw. I wish there had been more about it all. But I did love this small part of Diana's life, her childhood. So good.

There is so much to love about Diana. She's brave and fierce and loving. And just so much fun to read about too. She's the weakest of all her sisters, and she has wanted to prove herself to them for a long time. She wishes to be strong like them all. But I would say that she already is. And she's just so sweet and I loved reading about her so much. Sigh. Leigh wrote her so well. This book tells the story about how she rescues a girl from drowning. A girl from the outside world, who should not be at this island. Loved it.

Because she saved Alia, bad things are happening to Diana's home. And she's trying her very best to fix it. And I loved that lots. I loved how she decided not to simply let Alia die, to save her island, but instead decided to be brave and leave the island with her. To save her and to save the world. And gosh, how I adored and loved Alia. She's so fierce and kind and just so amazing. Getting to know her was the best. She's an awesome friend and I couldn't have loved her more. Enjoyed learning about her parents too.

Alia has a few friends. Like Nim. Whom was the most awesome girl and I loved her fiercely. Adored her friendship with Alia. They are such amazing friends. And I loved how she accepted Diana as well. Was sweet. And then there was Theo, a boy that Alia has a crush on. No romance in this book, but still, I can see it happening, and oh, they are adorable. Theo was pretty brave and pretty awesome too. Enjoyed reading about him too. And oh, reading about all of these characters together was simply so much fun.

Then there was Jason. Alia's brother. I'm unsure how I felt about him. He was a bit too controlling, yet fun to read about as well, and I couldn't help but enjoy reading about him and Diana fighting a little. It was fun. And I sort of shipped them. But again, no romance, because this book is not about romance. And I loved that too. I do wish there had been more romance, always, but loved how it focused on friendships instead. And the growing friendship between Diana and Alia was amazing. I loved it beyond words. Yess.

There is so much happening in this book. I'm not going to talk about most of it. Just that I loved the plot oh so much. Diana and the Amazons live on their island, mostly in the past. But Alia live in our time, so most of this book is modern, though Diana is not. And I enjoyed that so so much. Because while Diana knows some things, there are so much she doesn't know, and so there were a lot of funny scenes. But not all was fun. There is a lot of fighting too, and some heartbreaking scenes. I loved reading all of them.

This story tells of the Warbringer. A person who will make the whole world go into war. Diana makes it her mission to stop this. And I enjoyed this story so much. Diana and Alia was an amazing team. The ending was awesome, just wish it had been longer, and wish there would be more. Wonder Woman: Warbringer was a stunning story. Full of fierce and strong and brave girls. Amazing friendships. I'm so glad I read and enjoyed it tons. Thank you so, so much to Penguin Random House International for the ARC copy. Love.


2 comments:

  1. Carina! I SO BADLY HOPE I LIKE THIS MORE THAN THE MOVIE!!! I unfortunately wasn't that impressed by the movie, and don't really get the hype surrounding it. Luckily my boyfriend - who actually likes watching superhero movies and is a DC > Marvel fan - also wasn't that enthused. I mean, this is written by Leigh Bardugo. I'm sure I'll like this! Just. I hope so! >_< Also, how awesome is the cover?!

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you love Wonder Woman: Warbringer. I adore everything Leigh writes and while I didn't know much about Wonder Woman either when I read this one, it didn't matter because it was very easy to get into the story.

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)