Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

I have waited a lot of months for this book. And the wait was so worth it. This book was everything I wanted it to be, and more. While I might have wished there had been a tiny bit more of Eli, I still loved everything in this book. I really did. The writing is perfect. Which I am so glad for. The story is amazing. And the characters are perfect. Sigh. I also adore the cover so much :) It's just so perfect. And purple! Gorgeous.

The Nightmare Affair is a Fantasy book. And I loved that. It's kind of a Fantasy book set in the real world. There is magic in this book. Lots of magic. A few werewolves, wizards, and all kinds of other creatures. Then there is Dusty, our main character. She is a Nightmare. And she's perfect. I loved everything about her. She's the most amazing main character.

Being a Nightmare means that she enters other people's dreams and kind of feeds on it. Hard to explain. But it was amazing to read about. She didn't always have magic, though. Her father was ordinary. But her mother was a Nightmare. So she's half. And just a few short months ago her magic appeared. So she's kind of clumsy with it. And yeah. It's all kinds of adorable. She can do spells and such. She goes to a magic school. Normally I don't enjoy schools, but this one was amazing. We got to learn a lot of interesting things. It was amazing.

This book starts with Dusty out one night to feed on a dream. She, well, breaks into his bedroom. Which was kind of awesome. And oh. The boy she's about to dream-feed on? He's totally hot. We get a description of his body and good looks while he's sleeping. And yeah. He's sounded so amazing. Dusty also know who he is. It's Eli, a boy from her former human school. But she must feed on him, because of The Will. Won't spoil what that means :D But yeah. She must feed on his dreams. And it's amazing.

Problem is, he's dreaming about a murder. And his dream is so clear. Not what she's used to, when entering other people's dreams. Eli is different. Something else amazing happens as well. Won't say what. But yeah. It was pretty amazing, and kind of funny ;) This is the scene that start the mystery in this book. That starts the story. And it was amazing. Because the dream Eli had came true when Dusty left him. She saw the murdered girl from her school. Which was all kinds of awful but also awesome.

It ends up with Eli starting at her school. Even though he has no magic like all the other students. But he's hot, and all kinds of amazing, so he had no trouble at all fitting in with the people. Kind of. We learn some really interesting things about him and Dusty. What they can do. How they might be able to find the killer. And stop him or her before it's too late. And it's so interesting and mysterious and amazing. I peeked at the ending before starting, which I should not have done, but I still loved it all.

I won't say more about the plot. Just that there is a lot of murders. Kind of awful ones. But so interesting to read about. And there is a lot of mystery. And many surprises. It was all written so well. The story is very interesting. I loved the magic in this book. I loved the murder mystery. And I loved the way Dusty fed on dreams. She has to sit on the stomach to the sleeping person she's feeding on. And touch his/her forehead. Yeah. It was kind of hot. And all kinds of amazing. I loved that part very much.

There is romance in this book. I was hoping it would be between Dusty and Eli. But it isn't. Not really. Well, yes, she is very attracted to him. And she likes him a lot. And I'm pretty sure he's very into her as well. And I wanted them together so much. But yeah. He starts dating this other girl at the school, and Dusty meets this boy called Paul. And oh. He does seem very sweet and nice and good looking. And I might have liked him a bit. But he wasn't Eli. Still, their romance was a tiny bit sweet :) Maybe.

Then the ending happens. And it was kind of surprising, but I was also very happy with it. If that makes any kind of sense. Anyway. There must be a sequel to this book. So many things that can still happen. And I just need more of Dusty and Eli. And romance between them ;) I also liked all the other characters in this book. Like Selene. I might even have liked Lance a tiny bit. I also liked Dusty's relationship with her mother. It was awful and sweet and very real. The characters are all just so amazing. This book is amazing. And I cannot wait to read it again and again. It was perfect. I'm so glad that I read it.

You really need to read The Nightmare Affair when it comes out. This book has it all. And it's just every kind of perfect. It is a must read. Also, Mindee is adorable :) I cannot wait to get my hardcover of this book in March. <3 It will be so pretty. Sigh. Oh. I'm hoping for a sequel so, so much. Thank you so much to Tor Publicity and NetGalley for the chance to read and review this early. <3 Read on January 11th.

6 comments:

  1. I love everything about this book and I haven't even read it yet...I really hope it lives up to my high expectations that I've created for this one once I get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review. I read this too and it's awesome. I'm interviewing Mindee next month and giving away my ARC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I've read I would've thought the romance was Eli and Dusty as well, so I guess there are other plans for them. This concept sounds great, and glad you enjoyed the execution.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to read the next one! Too bad its at least a year away!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome review! I am glad you enjoyed it this much. I have to agree, I wished there was more romance between her and Eli, or atleast at an earlier stage in the book. I also like the ending!

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this book sounds awesome! I have seen The Nighmare Affair around a lot, especially on Goodreads and wasn't sure if it is a book I would enjoy. The synopsis didn't really tell me much. But your review certainly made things much clearer for me and now I'm itching to get my hands on a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)