Monday, March 30, 2015

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Oh, the precious. I do think I love this book even more than I loved The Golden Compass. Because there is Will. And Lyra is growing so much. And so much happens. So much heartbreak. Sniffs. And lots of amazing things too. Sigh. I loved reading this book for the third time. <3 And I cannot wait to read it again.

The beauty of the illustrations in this special Folio edition is killing me a little. They are all so beautiful. Though still too few of them, hmph. But that's okay. Because the cover is also all kinds of gorgeous. And I love them all so much. They made reading these books even better. Because they are so beautiful.

I will not be talking that much about The Subtle Knife. Because my heart is hurting. And I don't have a lot to say about it. Mostly just that I loved this book to pieces. I loved how amazing Lyra is. Her relationship with her dæmon, Pan. How awesome that is. I loved getting to know twelve year old Will. Whom is just the most amazing child. Whom I might be crushing on, which might be a bit weird, but damn. He is more amazing than all the other male characters I have read about. Because Will is fierce. He is loving. He is protective. He is sensitive. And so damn brave. Will is the best person. And I loved reading about him and Lyra meeting and then getting to know each other. I just adore them together. They are both the most amazing characters.

Though, well, this book is really way too short. Yet it took me forever to read it. But still too short. And not all of it is told from Will and Lyra. There are a bunch of other awesome characters we have to hear from too. And while that bothered me a little bit, as I want to read about Will and Lyra at all times, I also didn't mind that much. Because I love Lee. And I really enjoyed reading about the other characters too. They also made the story even better. Though most of the point of views were heartbreaking. Ack.

I can't begin to talk about how special this book is. Mostly because of Will and Lyra. And getting to read about them meeting in a different world. And seeing things about this world. The creepy spectres. The oh so creepy children too. This new world was amazing to read about. And I loved reading about Will and Lyra seeing it. Sigh. There is just so much to love in this book. So much happens. And I just. I could read about Will and Lyra forever. Wishing there will be more books about them together. There must be.

I really should say more about The Subtle Knife. But I can't. I don't want to talk about all the things that happens. Just that every single moment is amazing. Getting to know Will. Getting to know how much he loves his mom. Getting to see him search for his father. Sobs. Getting to see all his heartbreak. And getting to know the subtle knife as well. Sigh. This book is just all kinds of perfect. And reading it for the third time was super special to me. I just love this world like crazy. This book is just so amazing.

I really cannot tell you enough how special this trilogy is to me. You all need to read these books. And if you have read them, then you need to re-read them. Because reading them again just makes me love them more. And I want everyone to feel the same. Because oh. These books are so special. They are so different. They are so beautiful. Truly the most amazing characters that have been written. And the story is so exciting. You will not get enough of these books. You will want more. Like I do. Read them.


 
My collection of all things Philip Pullman, so far. <3

6 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about this series but I have never read any of the books. I will have to look into them soon, especially after your glowing review!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the 1st a while back but didn't fall in love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book to pieces, too. I totally have a crush on Will... sigh... you've captured it so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your love for this author is awesome! Look at all those copies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved reading this love letter to the book, Carina! I feel like I must re-read them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all those editions! I want them all! I only have the first copies I got, which are pretty worn from reading. Must reread soon, especially since you seem to love them more and more as you reread them. I NEED THAT FOLIO EDITION. (The rip on the cover!!) Can't wait to read about The Amber Spyglass!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)