Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry

I hadn't heard of this book before I noticed it on NetGalley today. When I read the summary I knew I had to read it right away, because it sounded pretty amazing. So I did start it right away. I'm glad I read the book, even though it wasn't that perfect for me, but it is a three star book, and I did enjoy reading it all :)

The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a fast read. Just over two hundred pages, and it is easy to get lost into. While I wish it had been longer, it didn't need to be, because everything got wrapped up at the ending. My review of this book won't be that long, because the book is so short, and I don't want to give anything away :D Since there is a lot of things to spoil in this book ;p

This is a book about a girl who wakes up on the floor of a cabin with no memory of who she is or why she's there. Which I really loved, because it's an interesting plot twist. She doesn't remember who she is or anything about herself before the cabin. But she knows other things, like what everything is and how to drive a car and other things like that. I approved of that :)

I really don't know how to talk about this book. Will be a few spoilers of the beginning, but that you can read about in the summary, to be honest. While she's lying there on the floor she hears a man tell another one to get rid of her. She's also noticing how much pain she's in. Her tooth is loose, and she's missing two fingernails. Shudders. That was pretty awful to read about, but I kind of loved it as well, because it's weird and unique. I won't say how it happens, but she manages to escape from the cabin.

After she's escaped there is a lot of things happening. Won't say what, either :D But yeah. There is a lot of action and mystery and lots of things that don't add up. I loved reading about it, because it was exciting and I did like it. I liked reading about the girl as well, because she is pretty sweet and amazing. I just had some trouble connecting to her, and to the writing. And I found the ending to go a bit too fast, and some bad guys talked too much about secret stuff. Other than that, I enjoyed it very much :)

While she's on the run from the men who want her dead, she meets this guy. And oh. Ty is an amazing character. He's really kind and sweet. I had some trouble getting the right feelings for him too, though, but I loved him, still. There is not much romance in this book. It does not focus on it. I liked that. But I also liked that there is a hint of a romance between them. Ty helps her a lot, and I loved that very much. And I enjoyed reading about his friend and roommate, James :) I liked him very much as well.

This book also focus a bit of science. I didn't understand it all, but I still enjoyed it, because most of it made sense. Plus, it was interesting to read about, and it made the other things make sense as well. I don't really want to say anything else about this book. There is a lot of bad guys. And some awful things happen. But mostly it's a book about the girl trying to figure out who she is while escaping from some bad men trying to kill her. It's an easy and sort of fun read. While I didn't love it, I liked it very much :)

I'm not a big fan of the cover. Well, it isn't that bad, and I will be getting a hardcover of this book in June, but yeah. It does fit with the book, though, and I like that very much :) Something I enjoyed in this book was the characters. While I didn't truly connect with them, I still loved reading about them, and I wanted to know what happened next with all of them. I like the ending of this book. I do want more, but there don't have to be. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a different book. And it's good.

If you like a sort of mystery book with good characters and an interesting plot, then you should most definitely buy this book when it comes out in June :) Because although I had a few issues with it, it is still an awesome book, and I think most of you will love it. It has an interesting plot, and lovable characters. Thank you so much to Macmillan & NetGalley for the chance to read and review this early. <3

5 comments:

  1. The title and cover attracted me, but after reading this, there is reason to wait and go about reading what I plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an ARC of this one that I plan to read closer to release date. I'm glad to see an early review, though, to have an idea of what to expect. The way she wakes up just sends shivers down my spine! Loose teeth and mising fingernails just sounds so painful--and I know its probably nothing compared to getting stabbed or what not, but it just sounds like the most painful thing ever!!! Great review.

    Jennifer
    http://ya-sisterhood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear about the good characters and intersting plot, I still havent' been able to decide if this is for me though
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a nail biter! Very interesting sounding premise. The missing nails and loose tooth give me the shivers. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard about this book a few weeks ago and got excited. I've read one of April Henry's older books and really enjoyed it. This one sounds a little darker, the missing finger nails creeps me out, I'm not sure if I could handle it or not =/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)