Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Recommendation: Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris


It's been one year since I first read this book. And with the sequel coming out, I knew I had to re-read it. And I'm so glad that I did. Because I seem to have forgotten a bunch of things. Like how much I loved it. I remember loving it a lot, but yeah. It was even better now, I think. Unraveling is just such an amazing book, and I loved every part of it. Maybe except for the ending. It's a cliffhanger, and it's evil. Full of heartbreak. Yet it's also amazing, and I'm so glad that I'm finally going to be able to read the sequel.

I don't really know how I will talk about this book. What to talk about. Because I don't want to spoil anything. Because despite having read it a year before I still got surprised while reading it again now. I enjoyed the writing in this book really well, and I'm glad about that. There were maybe a few words at times that I didn't enjoy, but there weren't many, and I didn't really care about that at all. Because it is an amazing book. The writing is so good, the characters are amazing. And the story is really perfect.

The book is told from the point of view of seventeen year old Janelle. She lives with her younger brother and her mom and dad. Her mom is sick, though, and I kind of hated her, because of all the things Janelle had to do. Her dad works for the FBI, and there is a lot of drama because of that. Yet I loved it. I loved his work, because we get to see so much of it. Yeah, some things were pretty awful to read about, yet I loved it all so much. And I kind of loved her dad as well. He was kind of amazing, to be honest.

There are lots of characters in this book. This guy who works with her dad, Struz, was all kinds of awesome. Yeah, a bit weird at times, but I loved him. Thought he was awesome. Not sure how I felt about Barclay. People are loving him in book two.. hmm, we'll see. I did not like Kate, Janelle's ex-best friend. I guess I was supposed to understand her near the end. But I didn't. And I do not approve of her, to be honest. Then there was Nick, her kind-of-boyfriend at first. He was okay. I think. Maybe not.

Then there is Ben. He's sort of the second main character, even though there is no point of view from him. But we get to know him so well, and most of the plot is about him. I just loved Ben so much. He's adorable. And I loves Janelle so much. And he has for many years. Swoon. Yeah. I just really loved him. He's kind and loving and sweet and loyal. I even enjoyed reading about his friends, Elijah and Reid. Mostly just Elijah, even though he was kind of an asshole at times. I need to get to know him better.

There is romance in this book. And it's amazing. It's a bit weird at first, since Janelle is kind of dating Nick. But yeah. I didn't actually mind that much. Because Janelle and Ben happens. And their love for each other is just amazing. It might have happened a bit fast, but I didn't mind one bit, because it was really real to me right from the beginning. Just, sniffs. The ending of this book. Sobs. I need so much more of Janelle and Ben together. Hopes for book two. I cannot wait to read more from them both.

Then there is the plot in this book. I don't really know how to describe it, to be honest. At first there is this normal world like ours. But it's also a bit science fiction, because things changes. We get to know more about Ben and his friends, because they are different from others. They didn't come from the same universe. And yeah. All that was pretty amazing to read about. Thought the plot was really great, and I loved reading about it so much. There are tons of surprises, mysteries and romance. It's awesome.

I forgot to mention this amazing character. Alex. Janelle's best friend who's a guy yet there is no romance between them at all. Their friendship was the best. It's sweet and honest and real. I loved them both so much. And Alex is just amazing. He's a real friend and I, yeah, loved him. There is just many characters to get to know in this book. I loved most of them. But they are all pretty mysterious and they all have secrets. I loved that. And I loved working it all out. It was fun and all kinds of awesome.

I don't know what else to say about this book, to be honest. Just that it's kind of long and I wish it had been longer. It's really amazing. And I loved every moment of this book. Maybe except for that evil ending, hih. The story is just really great, and I couldn't help but love it. Even the evil parts. I cannot wait to read what happens next in the sequel, even though I have peaked at the ending, lol (A) Will now read the short story from Ben's point of view. Sigh. Anyway. Go read this book! It's so worth it.

A quote I love.

I smile, and that's all it takes. He leans forward and our lips touch, and it's like his lips were made to fit around mine. His arms tighten around me, and I reach up to the back of his neck and pull him into me. Our lips part, our tongues touch, and I taste him until a sigh escapes with my breath. Ben pulls back just a fraction of an inch so our foreheads are touching, and his lips smile against mine. "This was perfect," I whisper. He closes his eyes, and his voice is quiet, like the words are simply being exhaled.
"It was better than perfect."


2 comments:

  1. I SO loved this. And was amazed at where the plot went. It was like WOW! I'm so happy my library is getting Unbreakable in because I've heard amazing things about it too. Thanks for spotlighting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you recommending this book-I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and can't wait to pick up the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)