Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

I have been wanting to read this book for a few months now. Ever since I saw that gorgeous cover and read the summary. Was so sure that I would love this book. First I got declined a bunch of times via Edelweiss, but I finally got accepted a few days ago. Had to start it right away, even though I'm not reading much these days. But oh. I did not love it.

I wanted to love it, I truly did. But I just didn't. It wasn't was I thought it was going to be. I had imagined a fast paced book with lots of action and romance. And while I was pleased with most things in this book, it was just too slow for me. In the beginning I was confused, didn't understand if it was a flashback or not for the first 30 pages or so.

But then I got that cleared up, and I started to enjoy the story. I did like the writing. The writing was good. And I loved Lynn, the main character. She was awesome. I liked her mom too, somewhat. She seemed a bit weird and harsh a times. But she was loving and I did enjoy reading about her. Just didn't fully understand that one scene with the big coyote. I sort of enjoyed reading about their life by their pond. We get to know some things about how the world is and how it came to be that way. We learn how much and how little Lynn knows about the world.

We get to know Stebbs, their neighbor. He's a bit old and I adored him. He has a bad leg though, and I felt sorry for him a lot. Still. He was interesting to read about. Then we also meet some new characters, Eli and Lucy and Neva. I liked reading about them, although yeah. It was a bit confusing. But I loved Lucy, she was just a little kid. And I felt so sorry for her mom, Neva. Eli was the brother to Neva's husband. I loved Eli. But I wished we had gotten to know him a bit more.

Thing is, after we got to know of these three the book slowed down so much. And I disliked it a bit. Because I felt like it didn't have to be there, that some parts could have just been skipped. Although I did love reading about Lucy, but still felt like it didn't have to be there. I truly don't know what to say about this book. There is a lot of death and killing. Which I enjoyed. Maybe. There is some romance, which was sweet but also happened a bit fast and a tiny bit weird.

I don't really have anything else to say. I enjoyed the writing. I loved the characters. But I wished for more. The ending felt very rushed. And holy crap, how I hated the ending. It didn't make sense much. At least not to me. It was just heartbreaking and evil. This is a standalone book, with an epilogue. And to be honest, I don't even want a sequel. I did not enjoy the ending at all. It was just cruel. Sigh. Still. I sort of enjoyed the book. For the most part, I think. It was a little bit good.

I'm still a bit unsure about how to rate this book. But I have gone with a 2 star. Although it might be a 2.5 star. Because I did enjoy it a little bit in the middle. I was interested in the book, in the characters. Then the ending happened and I just did not enjoy it at all. It did not make sense at all. Which made me also realize that I didn't fully love this book like I had wanted to for so long. I'm sure others will love it, I just couldn't. I'm sorry. But oh, I am still getting my pre-ordered copy :)

Thank you so much to the publisher, HarperCollinsChildrens, and to Edelweiss for the chance to read this book early. Really happy that I got to do so, even though I did not end up loving it.


8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this didn't work for you, Carina, especially after you went to all that trouble to get it in the first place! This looked really promising, but I think quite a few books lately have been letdowns after looking so good. I'm glad you were able to connect to the characters and the writing, but it seems like this really needed more. And if this is a standalone, then that ending really needed to be better. I hope you have better luck with your next read. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie. <3 Yeah, I'm sorry that I didn't like it much too :\

      Delete
  2. Ah! Nooo! I am going to read this very soon so I just looked at your rating and didn't read your review. I'll come back and read once I read. I'm so sad you didn't love this one. I am really excited to read it but a little worried now.


    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh that's annoying. This is up for me soon, so I'll be sure to lower my expectations slightly! I've heard that this isn't very full of action, and that it focuses a lot on the everyday aspects of survival. I don't necessarily mind that, but it does depend on whether or not I like the characters. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing and characters, at least. :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer. I hate when I really think I'm going to love a book and it lets me down. I hope your next read will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awhhhhh, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! I'm still very eager to read it. The cover is gorgeous and the blurb sounds too good to ignore. I'm happy you liked the MC though :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you didn't enjoy this one more. I like the cover! I am glad to hear that you liked the middle. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I have been waiting to read this one so my expectations are now lowered. Hm, I guess that is a good thing if I don't end up liking it when I am able to read it. Sorry it didn't work out for you after all that time trying to get it since it did seem so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)