Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Recommendation: The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle

 
I cannot believe it's already been a year since I first read this book. And I actually remembered a lot of it, hih. So glad that I decided to re-read it now, though. Even if the second book isn't out for yet another month. Still, that isn't too long to wait for it, and I really cannot wait to read it. So excited for it to come out next month. Hoping it will be even better than The Hallowed Ones, which I think it will be :) I loved re-reading this book. I might not have needed to, but I loved it. Had forgotten a few things ;p

I feel like I said a lot about this book in my review a year ago, so my book recommendation today won't be that long. I will be sharing a sweet teaser at the end, which I adore. While re-reading The Hallowed Ones, I learned that I loved it the most the first time, yet I still loved it so much this time as well. But I did have a few small issues with the writing, which is normal for me these days. Have gotten so picky this year, lol. But I still did enjoy the writing so much, and I'm really glad I read it. It's an awesome book.

The Hallowed Ones tells the story of an Amish girl named Katie. She's amazing. At first she seemed a bit plain, like the other girls and women on their land. But she got a lot more personality later on, and I ended up loving her so much. I was a bit confused at first, like the first time, about how the Amish thing work. But it was interesting to read about, even though I don't care much for God and could never have been Amish. They live a simple life, and it did seem good and sweet at times. But not always.

Because the Amish have a lot of rules. And yeah. I did not approve of them. Like the Bann. And what happens after Rumspringa. I would never be able to live like an Amish. But I did enjoy reading about them and their life. I loved reading about Katie and her family, even though they seemed a bit harsh at times. Katie has a best friend, Elijah. I could have liked him a bit in the beginning. But then the end of the world happens, and he changed so much. He got more into the rules, and I hated him with a passion.

A lot of the book is about the Amish life and their ways. I enjoyed it, but that wasn't the most exciting part of this book. The Hallowed Ones is about vampires. The evil kind that eats you. I loved it. It's a bit unique as well and I loved reading about it so much. At first the Plain people don't know that anything happened, until it sort of comes to their door. And then the plot begins. It is a really amazing story and I loved reading about it all. There is also a boy. Well, a man. Alex. And he's adorable. I loved him a lot.

Alex is from the Outside, and he is badly hurt. I loved reading about him and Katie. There is some romance and it's sweet and amazing. Loved the ending. There is also this English woman, Ginger, whom I loved reading about. She's sweet and pretty amazing. Hope we get to learn more about her in the sequel. I don't really know what else to say about this book. It's amazing and creepy and sweet. I loved reading about the dogs. I enjoyed reading about the Hexenmeister. I enjoyed reading about it all :)

If you all haven't read The Hallowed Ones yet, you really need to do so. I'm sorry if my book rec didn't turn out very perfect, I just don't have words for how awesome this book is :) Right now I'm just counting down the days until book two, The Outside, comes out next month. I need to know what happens next with everyone and everything. So excited for it. Also, cute quote from the book below :)

~

But he didn't let go. He reeled me back in as if I were a fish. With a startled gasp,
I stumbled and landed against his chest. A flicker of amusement glittered in his eyes.
He kissed me on my forehead, whispered against my skin. "Be careful, Bonnet." ~ page 231


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Carina for the rec. I've had this book in my ebook reader for awhile now, I really should get to it.

    Don't worry that's a little routine I've got happening too, if the consecutive book to the series is about to be released I will re-read the books before that so I can remember and read the series in order up till the current book and restart the process again when next book comes out.

    So for example book 3 is released, I must re-read book 1 and 2 before reading book 3. When book 4 is released I then re-read book 1, 2 AND 3 prior to reading book 4. Strange or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around and had it recommended to me but I still haven't gotten to it. I promise I will...some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has intrigued me every time I have seen it. I like the cover and the story sounds really good. Plus- I have always been fascinated by the Amish. I will have to check this one out. So glad you enjoyed it so much reading it the second time. Great teaser!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)