Thursday, August 15, 2013

Book Recommendation: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


I had forgotten how much I loved this book. Like truly loved it. My favorite book by Maggie is The Scorpio Races, as it is one of the best books ever. Then again, I've only read two books by her so far :) Hoping to love The Dream Thieves even more. I will not be talking too much about the plot in this book rec. Won't mention the beginning, how things get started. Will mostly just talk about my love for the characters. And I have a lot of love for them. Especially for Gansey. And Blue. I love them all so much.

I shall start with the main girl in this book, Blue. She's pretty amazing. She's weird and cute and I adored her. She's kind too. And very sweet. She has a weird family, though, and I adored all of them. They all live in a small house, and everyone except for her is some kind of psychic. Which was so awesome. Loved reading about all of them and what they could do/predict. Like Calla and Maura and Neeve. I adored them all and enjoyed reading about them so much. Hoping we see even more of them later.

Even though Blue isn't psychic she does sort of have a power of her own. She makes others power stronger. Which was also kind of amazing. I get that she wish she could do more, but still, I loved what she could do either way. Anyway. I adored Blue and her family. She doesn't have any friends, though, before this book started. Which was a bit sad, but I can't judge her, since I'm the same. But then there is this book. And there is the Raven boys. And they are adorable and perfect and so much love.

We meet four boys. And I loved all of them. One more than the others, though. First there is Noah, who is just so cute. He's different, though, and we find out why. It broke my heart. Yet it was also perfect and I loved reading about it. Then there is Ronan, the bad boy. He's a bit of an asshole, but I loved him for it. He's had it tough, and I cannot wait to read more about him to figure it all out. He was an really interesting character and I adored him. Especially reading about him and Chainsaw. Sigh. Adorable.

Then there is Adam. I did love him. I did. Just wish he hadn't sort of been a love interest. And I fear what might happen in book two. But I can't really hate him and Blue being adorable together, because they were a bit sweet to read about. Adam does not have an easy life. He has an asshole father and a coward mother, I think. I hated reading about it. But I also loved it. It made Adam interesting. But I hated how he treated Gansey at times. He hurt him. And it broke me. I get him, just not that part.

Gansey. I loved him the most. He was the best part of the book, even though I loved all of it. He's rich and cute and all kinds of amazing. He's different too. He has this obsession about this dead king and this other magic thing. I loved it. He's funny and sweet yet he's a bit dumb at words which I adored. He has these fears and it broke my heart. Loved that he was allergic to wasps. Even though it freaked me out. Need to read more about that in the upcoming books, please. I just loved it. Gansey is very real.

Just, swoon. We learn so much about Gansey yet not enough. Never enough. He's just perfect. Yeah, not truly perfect, but perfect for me. Broken perfect. And the way he felt towards the end just broke me so much. It better be fixed pretty fast. I need Gansey to feel loved. To be loved. He deserves that. Sobs. Anyway. I really ship Gansey and Blue together, and I need them to be a couple pretty fast, please. The book seem to ship them too. I hope. Just don't let him die. Cries. Love the plot twist, though.

The plot in The Raven Boys is amazing. We learn so much and yet I was never confused. I just wanted to know more and more. It's almost been one year since I first read this. I loved it even more this time. So much more. The Raven Boys is just amazing. The writing is perfect. I adore Maggie's writing. She's pretty awesome too. And the story is so good. There is some magic, which I loved. There is lot of mystery. A tiny romance. Friendships. Love. Hate. This book has it all. I just loved it so much.

Don't think I have anything else to say about The Raven Boys. It's just a stunning book that I want everyone to read. I loved it to pieces. Cannot wait to read The Dream Thieves, which should arrive any day now <3 and then the next two books in this four book series :) Though I feel that won't be enough and I may end up wanting more and more. Right now I just need more Gansey. And him happy. I need him to be happy, pretty please. Love him sad and broken, though, but want him happy as well :)

Also sharing a teaser from the book with you. Not a big one and no romance. But it's funny and I loved reading it. It's Gansey and Ronan, and you might not understand it if you haven't read the book :D Hopefully it will just make you more excited about reading it ;p Because if you have not read The Raven Boys yet, then you really need to start reading right away. It's amazing. Perfect writing, amazing plot and awesome characters. It will hurt your heart and make you smile. Go read it. You will not regret it. <3

~

"We have to be back in three hours," Ronan said. "I just fed Chainsaw but she'll need it again."
"This," Gansey replied, "is precisely why I didn't want to have a baby with you." ~ page 239


My old review. My book recommendation of The Scorpio Races.

Update: Newer and better review of the book can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. I've only skimmed over this one but from what I read, I enjoyed. I think it's time to actually sit down and read this one before the next one comes out on the 17th.

    Great recc, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read it Joy! It is so so good. <3 Thank you sweetie :)

      Delete
  2. My favorite is The Scorpio Races, too, but Raven Boys is so good! I just reread this one and am psyched to get to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check this out, the guys sound great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really liked Raven Boys, although I also preferred The Scorpio Races. I am looking forward to the sequel of this, I love Gansey! I was confused a lot in this though, sometimes I had to reread to really understand something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one too though it started a tad slow for me. I really appreciate Maggie's writing style and always love the flow of her words. I am very excited to read The Dream Thieves! I hope you love it when you get to reading it.

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I've heard nothing but good things. Looking forward to getting to it eventually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this book but still my fave Maggie's book was The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. Still I'm super excited to read a sequel to this one ;) Great post <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can't wait to read this book. I've heard so many good things about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wholeheartedly agree with this recommendation-this is by far my fave Stiefvater book and I can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)