Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Oh, I don't know how to describe my feelings for this book. I loved it. But I also took forever to start reading it, as I tried the beginning months ago but couldn't get into it. Then I got a print ARC of it and I tried again. Still had issues with the beginning, but I got through it, and it got so good. So glad that I read it.

I really enjoyed Cruel Beauty. It was a heartbreaking and beautiful book. The writing was amazing as well. But oh, I'm not sure I will get over that ending. On one hand it was so perfect. But holy crap. When I start thinking about some of the things that had happened my heart breaks. So cruel. And so perfect.

I'm not sure how to talk about this book. I don't want to give away the plot, so I don't think my review will be very long. But oh, there are some gorgeous characters to talk about. And I loved them all so much. Well, some I hated with a passion, but those don't count. I thought this book was done really well. It's very interesting and I needed to know what would happen next.

The characters in this book are all done so well. I loved reading about them all. The book is told from the point of view of Nyx, who has been told all her life what she needs to do to save the land. And oh, my heart just broke for her. She's an amazing character. Though she does have a little dark heart. Which I adored. I just, I kind of really hated her family. So much. Her father was not kind at all. I hated him. And I didn't like her sister, Astraia much either. But she grew on me. Well, maybe not that much :D

There is so much happening in this book. I'm not going to describe it. But oh. We learn so much. Some things bored me a tiny bit, but most of the things that happened had me very excited. But anyway. The plot focus around the Gentle Lord. Who is mostly a demon. And oh, I loved reading about him. He's a lot of cruel, but he's also not just that. He's very interesting to read about. And I loved him to pieces. We learn so much of him yet never enough. He must have been my favorite character :) I adored him.

I do suppose some would call the beginning of this book a love triangle. But I wouldn't say so. Shade is an interesting person. Well, first of all, he is mostly a shadow with no colors. But, hih, it didn't bother me that Nyx had some feelings for him, because I had peeked at the ending before starting. And although the ending may have told me too much, it also told me just enough not to be bothered by some things. And I did enjoy reading about Shade. Though he too did some pretty evil things. Sigh.

We get to see many scenes between Nyx and Ignifex. And I loved them all. They are fun to read about. Some things were a bit heartbreaking. They bicker a lot. And I loved it to pieces. They are adorable together. And I loved reading about the slow romance between them. It was perfect. Just wish there had been even more. Sigh. Though there were a lot. And it was so good! It was the best. Anyway. I really loved this book. And I loved the characters so much. And that amazing story line. So good.

I don't want to talk about the plot. Because that would mean thinking about it. And that would mean having my heart broken again by something that happens at the ending. Even though I loved it, it still breaks me when I think of a certain thing. Sniffs. But anyway. Cruel Beauty is amazing. It's so so good and I think you all need to read it when it comes out in January. I know I cannot wait to re-read it. And to own the gorgeous hardcover. <3 Sigh. I need all the copies of this amazing heartbreaking book.

Huge thank you to HarperCollins International for the print ARC of this gorgeous book. <3 So happy that I got to read it! I will always treasure it. Thank you also to the publisher for accepting me via Edelweiss months ago, though I didn't end up reading my eARC of it, hih. But I did read the book, and I'm so happy. But oh! I need a sequel. I really, really, really want a sequel to this book. <3

11 comments:

  1. I've had my doubts about adding this book to my TBR list, cause on the one hand the cover is stunning but for some reason the blurb didn't manage to capture me, but I guess after your review... I really need to add it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you ended up loving this one. I have the print arc too and it keeps looking at me asking to be read. I love that cover. So pretty! I can't wait to dive in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carina I always love your reviews and the way you write them. As if you are personally talking to me and telling me about the book. But I don't understand how you always peek at endings! I used to do that but now I don't haha. But I also have a print ARC and now I'm even MORE excited than I used to be for this book!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like it was great once you got into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great way to describe Nyx. I agree with that. I really enjoyed this too. And I really liked watching Nyx's relationship develop with Ignifex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this book! Fairytale retelling AND one of my favorite stories, I'm all in <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I absolutely LOVED it myself, primarily because Nyx was such a formidable and headstrong character. Lovely review, Carina - I'm thrilled you finally got into this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this cover and the idea of a slow romance! I'll have to check this out. Great review, Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so looking forward to this book. You're lucky! :) Glad you loved it, Carina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cruel Beauty is a fantastic retelling of the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast that rivets its reader and drags them into a world where the bad guy has depths beyond destroying the hero.
    Top rated Indianapolis Health Insurance website

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)