Saturday, November 30, 2013

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

I'm working on figuring out my feelings for this book. I'm still not sure how I feel. I think I will end up giving it a three star. But probably a three point five. But I'm not sure. Because I had some issues with the beginning. Took me forever to get started. But then I finally did, and it did get better. But not perfect.

I don't know how to talk about how I felt about this book. So my review will not be long. Because right now I'm thinking mostly a few negative thoughts and I'm not going to share most of them. But I need to talk a little bit about the things I disliked. And the things I actually did like. Though not nearly enough. Sigh.

My issue with These Broken Stars was that I couldn't fall in love with the writing. I wanted to. I always want to like the writing in a book. But this time I just couldn't. I didn't like the way the characters were thinking a lot of the time. I didn't like some of the things they did as well. But for the most part I did enjoy the characters. Which is why this is a three star book. Because I did enjoy it, but I didn't love it. I liked the story and characters.

But I only liked all of it for the most part. Sometimes I didn't enjoy the characters at all. They did some things that annoyed me. But I didn't really hate that, because I have read worse characters. And I kind of adored Lilac and Tarver. For the most part. And I enjoyed the romance. Probably. Well, I found it to be sweet. It doesn't happen right away. But when it does, it happens the way I want it to. And it's real and sweet. But yeah. I'm not sure I believed in their bickering in the beginning; so I didn't enjoy that.

It took me months to be able to read more than the first few pages of the book. But then I finally did it. And I did enjoy the beginning more this time. But I still disliked a few things in the first few pages. But anyway. I am glad that I read These Broken Stars. Because I did think it was an interesting book. And I learned a few things. But it wasn't one of my favorite books. But oh. I just read the summary for the companion novel; and I think I will like that one even more. So I will be reading that one too :D

I'm not going to say much more about this book. The story is interesting. So much happens. I loved reading about the new planet. It was awful yet I wanted it even more awful. The story is told from the point of views of Lilac and Tarver. I liked Tarver the most, but Lilac grew on me. There aren't many more characters in this book. And I liked that even more, hih. There are scenes that were sad, but did not make me cry. Which upset me a little bit. But I still felt things while reading this book. Mostly.

Anyway. That's all I'm going to say about this book. I thought These Broken Stars was an interesting book and I mostly enjoyed reading it. The story was pretty beautiful. Though I kind of wish it had been more. But then, it may just be me and the way I read books. I wish I had loved this book more. But then, I just couldn't. And I'm okay with it. Because while I did not love this, I still mostly enjoyed it. And I do think you should all read this when it comes out on December 10th. Also, isn't the book just gorgeous? :)

Anyway. I waited so many months before I read this book. I got it in May. I think. And I just read it. I tried it a few months back, but like I mentioned, I had issues with the beginning and the writing. So I put it off. But anyway. I finally did manage to read it. And I'm happy I did. But also a bit sad that I didn't like it more. I wish I had loved it. Because I could have had. If the writing had been better for me. But damn it; I just can't enjoy a book if I don't enjoy the writing. It happens often. But it wasn't awful.

I want to thank the publisher, Disney Hyperion, for sending me this gorgeous print ARC a few months back. <3 I'm sorry for taking so long to read it, but I'm glad I read it. And I will be keeping my ARC, as it is so gorgeous. I will also be pre-ordering a hardcover of the book as well; since I did enjoy it :)
UPDATE: I forgot to add a teaser from the book that I wanted to share. It has now been added. <3

~

I lean down, my hair falling forward around his face, and let my lips find his.
For and instant I feel him reach for me, and all I want is to lean against him,
let him wrap me up, keep me close. All I want is for no one to take him away.


~

7 comments:

  1. aww I'm sad you didn't love it. All I've seen were good reviews so seeing your review definitely lowered bye expectations which is good since I hate having high expectations.

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame that you couldn't click with the writing-style! I'm still interested to read this one and see if I'll like it. The story sounds interesting enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bummer you didn't love this one but at least you didn't hate it and that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually quite enjoyed this book. Though I haven't written a review. I read this a long time ago and I'm afraid I don't remember much about it now. The writing style was quite different but I think it's why I enjoyed it.

    I hope you'll have better luck with your next read, Carina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this one, so I'm sad you didn't manage to :( But I do get what you mean. And I'm glad you liked Lilac and Tarver, because they're just so amazing together <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy this book more Carina, I had a couple of issues with it too, which is really disappointing, as I had high hopes for this book too. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you didn't love the writing as much as you wanted to! The cover is just so beautiful I could stare at it for hours! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)