Friday, November 1, 2013

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater


The Scorpio Races is beautiful. It's an amazing book. I love it to pieces. It's heartbreaking and beautiful and it made me feel everything. This is the fifth time I read it. Though it's actually been a whole year since the last time, which I can't believe, because I love it so much. Been meaning to re-read it for ages, and today on November 1st it seemed like the best time to do so. Because November 1st have a big meaning in this book, so I think it was the best day. And I'm so glad I did. Because it was perfect.

I'm not going to talk too much about this book today. Because I have done so many times before and I don't want to just repeat myself. But it's also been a whole year since I talked about it last, so I do have a few things to say. First, I adore Maggie Stiefvater. Only read three books by her so far, but they have all been amazing. I cannot wait to read the Shiver books. Because her writing is stunning. It's perfect and I love that. She's also pretty amazing at writing stories. And romances. Sigh. She's awesome.

The Scorpio Races is still the second best book I have read. Will see if I think it's even better than Graceling when I re-read that one soon too. But either way, this book will always be close to my heart. Because it has the best story and the best characters and the sweetest relationships. I just don't know how to talk about it. I just love this book so much. It's beyond amazing and I'm just so happy that I've read it. It's told from two point of views, and both are amazing. But I wanted even more from both.

This book tells the story of Puck Connolly. Or Kate Connolly. I'm not sure yet which name I prefer, because she uses both, and I do adore both of them. But anyway. Puck is amazing. She's adorable and a bit harsh but still kind at times. She's strong but also broken, because she lives with her two brothers after their parents were killed by the water horses a year before. Their situation just broke my heart. Yet it was perfect to read about. I adored her younger brother, Finn. He's just so, so cute. I loved him a lot.

But I did not like her older brother, Gabe. I'm not sure how to feel about him, but mostly I disliked him. He's leaving them. And it broke my heart so much. I mean, I could have been okay with it if he had told them in a different way, if he had acted differently. But he didn't. And I did not enjoy the way he was with his siblings. But still. I'm pretty sure he was a different person before their parents died. Would have liked him then. Anyway. He was an amazing character to read about, even if I disliked him :)

But then, the best character in this book is Sean Kendrick. He is all kinds of perfect. He's strong and smart and quiet. He doesn't speak much, but he makes it feel like he says everything. He's brave. He's just adorable. I love him so much. Favorite male character, most likely. I adored his relationship with Corr, his water horse. Which I'm not spelling the name for, lol. But oh, they are adorable together. But holy crap, heartbreak like never before. This book is evil. There is so many tears to be shed. Sobs.

I just can't with this book. It has everything. The best horses, even though I have never liked horses. But Corr. I loved him so much. I even adored Dove. Sigh. Also, George Holly. He is an awesome character from America. I loved him. And Dory Maud and just about everyone. I'm sorry, I just can't with the words right now. I have too many feelings from re-reading it. It's perfect and lovely and heartbreaking and there wasn't a single page I didn't enjoy. Everything about this book is written very perfectly.

I won't say much about the plot. As I have said so before. And besides, you all should have read this book by now. The story in The Scorpio Races is unique. It's heartbreaking. Yet it made me happy even while I was crying. Every chapter is beautiful, but oh, that last one is perfect. So heartbreaking but happy at the same time. I don't know how to describe it. But my god, this book was perfect. I loved it so much and I cannot wait to read it yet again pretty soon. Very excited about that. Sigh. So good.

There is romance in this book. Not much, and I might have wished for so much more. But oh, the romance in this book is so real and honest. There couldn't really have been more. But Sean and Puck are so adorable together. Sigh. I just, I really wish for a sequel. Want one with all my heart. I need to know what happens next. With all the characters. With Corr. Dying to know. <3 Anyway. This probably didn't make much sense. You just need to read The Scorpio Races. It's worth it. I promise. Go read it :)

~

I stare at him. "You can't risk not winning. Not because of me." Sean doesn't lift his eyes from the counter. "We make our move when you make yours. You on the inside, me on the outside. Corr can come from the middle of the pack; he's done it before. It's one side you won't have to worry about." 
I say, "I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick." 
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, "It's late from that, Puck."


My book recommendation of The Scorpio Races from last year.

Update: Newer and better review of the book can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like this one has been on my list forever- but I know it has only been on it for about a year. I am hoping to get to it soon- as I am making my way through all my borrowed books and will be allowing myself to buy books soon. :) I had to put a dent in the books I have borrowed so I could return them!

    5 times and you still love it! Yeah!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I love Raven Boys and Dream Thieve and Shiver, but for some reason I could not connect with this book! So many people love it, though, and I'm glad you did, too. Maybe I was cranky pants when I read it. :P

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this too, Carina. The writing was just amazing! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Scorpio Races though I prefer her other stuff maybe a tad more...one of these days I'll make time to reread it and see how I feel about it then. Seems like ages ago I read it so there's no telling what I'd feel reading it now. So happy you loved it just as much reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only read Raven Boys and Dream Thieves and absolutely adored them, so I'm gonna be reading everything Maggie Stiefvater has written now, little by little as my TBR allows it, and I'm gonna be starting with this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really enjoyed this book. The build up was a little slow at first but about thirty or forty pages in, I was hooked. The writing style is very different from "Shiver" but it fit the book better, I think. The ending was very satisfying and I loved reading a stand-alone YA novel rather than something that has two or three sequels attached. It does get a little graphic but nothing much different from other YA novels. Overall, I highly highly recommend.
    Highly recommended Dentist In Longview website

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)