Sunday, February 19, 2017

Review: Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales by Kiersten White

This book is so gorgeous. And I wanted to love it so badly. Which is why I'm so disappointed to say that I did not. I love fairy tales. And retellings are amazing. And I love middle grade books the most. Which is why I was so sure that I would love this book. As I also adore the author. But oh, I was a bit disappointed with this.

I don't think I will write such a long review of this book. Because it isn't really long, and because of the way it is told, there is not really that much to say about it. But will share my thoughts about all of it even so. I'm giving this book two stars. Aw. Makes me so sad. But I really didn't like this one much at all. Wasn't very good.

As I said, this book is all kinds of gorgeous looking. And I really did think that I would love it lots. And I do think that others might enjoy it a whole bunch, especially most children. But for me, it wasn't that good. I have read a lot of books for children that have been amazing. But I felt like this one was a bit too childish. The writing was not very good, and it was pretty boring. It's written like the writer is telling a story from her point of view, including a narrator inside the story. Which could have been amazing, but sadly I found it to be written really badly. Aw. There are supposed to be a lot of jokes included in the text, but I didn't find any of it funny. A lot of it is about spelling, and hearing words the wrong way. Which is interesting, but it wasn't interesting in this.

Sigh. Probably because I didn't find it funny that a boy had been making a soup out of pee. And had been peeing in a guest bed. That just wasn't for me at all. But I must admit that I did enjoy parts of this story. I liked that there are short stories about famous fairy tales, with different endings and such. And that they all fit together in the same kingdom. I liked that. I just didn't like any of the stories, lol. The writing was just not good for me at all. And I didn't really like the plot either. I found the ending to be pretty bad too. Sniffs.

I don't really know what to say about this book. I felt like it was really short, yet I couldn't help but wish that it had been even shorter. Aw. I'm so sad that I didn't like it much. I'm just so sad that it wasn't for me. Because I had been wanting to read it so badly and thought for sure that I would love it. But yeah, I have read tons of better written books for children, which is one of the reasons for why this one didn't work for me. But I would recommend that a lot of really younger children read it. They might love it. And might not.

This book have a vampire Snow White. And a zombie Red Riding Hood. And a really, really stupid Jack. I found some parts of it to be interesting, which is why I'm giving it two stars. But for the most part this book was too silly and not good enough. I feel sad about that. But yeah, nothing that can be done about that. It wasn't for me. Huge thank you, though, to the publisher for being all kinds of amazing and shipping this review copy to my hotel room. It means the most. Also so curious to know what others think of this book.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, boo! Saw your post on IG and knew you're excited to read this! Sorry it wasn't for you. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww a soup out of pee? That's gross. Sorry this book was a disappointment! I definitely won't be picking this one up...

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)