Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Review: Odd & True by Cat Winters

I have been a huge fan of Cat for years now, ever since before her first book came out. She always writes such amazing and stunning books, full of awesome characters. Odd & True was no exception. This book was truly incredible. Like I knew it would be. But yes, I am beyond happy that I loved this book so much.

It ended up breaking my heart, though. Because this story was so good. And the most heartbreaking at times. I'm not sure how I'll find the words to describe how much I enjoyed it all. But will try my best. The writing was so good. And I loved the characters as well. I'm giving this stunning book five stars. As I loved it so.

This book tells the story of two sisters. Odette and Trudchen. Od and Tru. They are both such stunning characters to read about. Sigh. It's also told from both point of views, Tru is present time, and Od in past time. I cannot begin to say how much I enjoyed that. Because the past was just as exciting as the present. This book takes place over a hundred years ago, which I love reading about, but oh, some of the things these girls were ignorant about made my heart hurt like crazy. Some parts of the book made me angry, some parts made me sad. But for the most part I was so happy with how much I enjoyed this story. Because it's truly an amazing book with a stunning story and awesome characters. This book also has monsters in it. Real ones and human ones.

Not going to mention the plot of this book too much, just saying a little bit. It's about two awesome sisters going on a sort of adventure to hunt monsters that they have known about their whole lives. They have always known how to protect themselves from every horrible monster out in the world. And figuring out if these monsters were real or not was all kinds of exciting. And just reading about their adventure was all kinds of fun. And sad too. I only wish that this book wasn't a standalone. I badly need more of them both.

I think my favorite parts of the book was reading about Od's past. Simply because it was so heartbreaking and I was dying to know what would happen next. So many surprises. So much heartbreak. Was simply stunning and so perfect. A lot of her past was when she was almost four, and when she was six years old. And oh, I cannot even tell you how much it broke my heart to read about it all. I wish this precious girl had had a better childhood. Aw. So sad. But written so well that I couldn't help but love it. My poor heart.

Another thing I loved very very much was the sister relationship between Od and Tru. It was stunning to read about. I loved how much they loved each other and cared for each other. Though all of that mostly happened in the past, as in the present, I felt like Od kept way too many secrets from Tru. Hmph. Which wasn't very nice of her and made me a bit upset with her. But I also didn't really blame her, because all of those secrets were horrible and oh so heartbreaking and evil. But still felt that Od deserved to know it all.

I simply adored these two girls so much. What I loved most about Tru was that she had a broken leg, yet she was still so fierce and loving and trying her best to live her life the way she wanted to. I wanted all the best for her. Sniffs. And wishing there had been focus on her upcoming romance. How rude. But despite no romance, I still loved her to pieces and enjoyed reading about her so much. She was so brave and so full of love. I couldn't help but adore her. But yeah, I do sort of wish the romance had been in focus too.

And oh, Od. I cannot write too much about this girl. I simply can't. I'm not sure if I loved her or Tru more. But I do know that I loved them both like crazy. And getting to know Od was the best thing. But also the worst. Because getting her chapters broke my heart each time. More awful things got revealed, and it was so sad. Yet some good parts too, of course. I hated Cy, though. Like crazy. Awful boy. Hmph. Could not decide if I loved or hated Uncle Magnus. Think I did both. But oh, I loved Od an awful lot. So much.

There is so much happening in this book. About both sisters, together or not. Though they are together all the time in the present, they weren't always in the past. And oh, reading about their family life killed me a little. So sad, yet so interesting and exciting. I loved reading about all of it. So so many exciting moments. I'm having trouble thinking of anything to write, simply because I enjoyed this book so much. Sigh. And so I won't write much more, just that you really need to read this book. It is so good. But also very evil. Ahh.

Thank you so much to the lovely UK publisher for sending me this ARC to read and review. So happy to have my collection of books by Cat complete too, eee. And cannot wait to get my two pre-orders of this lovely hardcover as well. It's going to be so stunning. If you haven't pre-ordered this yet, then you really must. Because Odd & True was all kinds of perfection. It was everything I wanted it to be. Odd & True was full of mystery and monsters. Heartbreaking moments and a stunning sister relationship. Loved it so.


4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to give this one a read! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So excited to hear that you loved this one. I'll be reading it next or very very soon :) Adore Cat Winters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 I loved Cat Winters' debut novel, still need to read more from her! Love your review, I can tell you really loved it! I also like multiple POVs, and if written well, past and present can really add so much to the story. I can't wait to meet these characters!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very thankful to all your team for sharing such inspirational information. catgenie reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)