Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Review: Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

I did not really know that I wanted to read this book until a few days ago, when I finally truly read the summary for it. I requested it on Netgalley, and was approved yesterday. And I simply could not resist reading it right away. And eee, I'm thrilled that I did so. Because this book was all kinds of awesome. And I loved it lots.

I'm very unsure where to begin with describing it, though. I would say that it is a viking book. Which I loved a whole lot. I have not really watched any viking shows lately though, but I want to. And now I really wish to do so soon. The writing in this book was very good, and I never had any issues with that. Which was so great.

This book is told from the point of view of Eelyn. Whom is such a fierce warrior girl. She has killed so many in the fights against a different clan. Everyone in this book is a killer. And I loved that a whole lot. It was interesting to read about, though brutal as well, which I always enjoy. Eelyn was such a fierce girl to read about, and oh, how I loved her. Getting to know her was the very best. I loved her relationship with her father; it was sweet and so good to read about. Her mother is dead, and her brother has been dead for five years now too. At least that is what she thinks. Until she sees him on the battlefield in the beginning of this book. Fighting for the other side. And everything she thinks she knows get turned around. There is so much happening in this book.

And I loved every moment of it. Eee. I'm giving Sky in the Deep five stars, because I simply couldn't stop reading this book. Every scene was awesome. It's a bit heartbreaking and a little romantic and really full of violence too. I loved it all so much. I do wish that there could have been a bit more romance, because I adored this pair so much. Sigh. The romance was perfect, but I wanted more, of course. This is also very much a standalone, I think. But gosh, how I would want another book. With same characters, same world.

I'm not going to talk too much about the plot of this stunning thing, I don't think. But there are some things that I must mention. The story is about Eelyn finding out that her brother is not dead, that he has made a new life for himself, along with her enemies. She is not happy with learning this. At the same moment she learns it, they kidnap her. And so much happens to this girl. It broke my heart. And yet she was so strong, always. And I loved reading about it all so much. Not going to say more about it, just, such a good story.

There is a little bit of romance in this book too. Eee. And I loved that so much. Sigh. Eelyn and Fiske do not start the book liking each other at all. They almost kill each other. And they have so many things that make them hate each other. I enjoyed reading that a lot too. But oh, when they finally started to become friends, and then more than that, it was the sweetest thing and I loved it so much. Shipped them so much. And eee, Fiske was an incredible character. I loved getting to know this boy so much. Fierce and loving.

There are so many characters in this book. And I'm not going to mention most of them. I adored Eelyn. And her father. She also has a best friend, whom I adored too. She made me a bit angry at some points, but I also understood her. Somewhat. But ah, Eelyn's brother. Who wasn't really dead. I was angry with him. So angry. But I kind of liked him too, but I did not love him. Hmph. Such an amazing story, though. There was also this little boy that was all kinds of adorable and sweet to read about. And so many more.

I think one of the biggest reasons for why I loved this book was because of how much Eelyn changed in it. She is always fierce and amazing. But she grows to be more understanding as the book goes on. And I loved that. She has lived her whole life fighting with her people, and she has loved doing that. But in this book she spends some time with the enemy clan, and she starts feeling different about all the fighting. It takes some time, of course, but I loved how much she grew. Was interesting and amazing to read about.

There is so much that I could say about this book. I could probably just write forever and ever saying that I loved it, haha. But I'm not going to do that. There is still so much I haven't shared about everything that happens in this book. I have seen that there will be a companion book out next year, and I cannot wait for that. Hoping these characters might be in it too. Fingers crossed. Either way, I'm going to read and love it. I'm so happy with how much I loved this book. And I think that all of you will love it too. You must read it.

This book reminded me a lot of Beyond a Darkened Shore, which was also a book that I enjoyed a whole lot. But though they were similar, they were also really different. Which I'm happy about. Also just happy to love them both, so yay for that. Both are books worth reading. And oh, how I am glad that I read Sky in the Deep. It was all I had hoped that it would be and so much more. Such a stunning story and amazing characters. I couldn't get enough of this story. Huge thank you to the publisher for the Netgalley approval.


3 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this one. Sounds like an interesting read!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this book before but reading the synopsis and hearing the word VIKING has me hyped! I'm glad that you enjoyed the book and to hear that there is a good amount of character development, I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one when I can this year! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great and I like that it's a stand-alone fantasy like Beyond a Darkened Shore!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog :)